Job Opening: Teaching Assistants
Makom Afterschool 2018-2019
Makom Afterschool is an innovative, pluralistic, Hebrew-immersion Jewish after-school program for children in JK through Grade 4). Founded by parents in 2011, Makom Afterschool enables children to attend their local neighbourhood school while gaining high-quality Jewish and Hebrew education and a warm Jewish peer community. We have three sites, at public schools in Kensington Market (College and Spadina), Seaton Village (Bathurst and Bloor), and Hillcrest Village (St. Clair and Christie).
We are looking for experienced, creative, and energetic teaching assistants for Makom Afterschool for the 2018-2019 school year.
We are looking for Hebrew Teaching Assistants to:
- Assist the lead teacher with classroom management
- Assist the lead teacher with parent/teacher communications
- Pick up students from their school and walk with them to our Afterschool location
- Help the lead Teacher to teach children in grades JK through 4 to speak, read, and write modern Hebrew (working 1-1 or in small groups)
- Help the lead Teacher to teach Hebrew language in Hebrew (“ivrit b’ivrit”)
- Use experiential education models and play-based learning
- Engage children in the arts and play (song, dance, visual arts, games)
- Help to create and maintain the Hebrew immersive program environment
- Hebrew proficiency; fluency preferred
- Experience with classroom teaching or camp counseling
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Commitment to children’s social and emotional development
- Desire to grow and learn professionally
- Passion for working with children
- Background in Jewish studies and tradition
Our program employs both 2-day and 5-day Teaching Assistants.
- 5-Day Teaching Assistants teach Mondays through Friday from 3:10-5:40 pm, including picking up students from their local school classrooms, recess, snack time, and 1.5 hours of prepared lesson (TA’s help to implement the lesson but are not responsible for planning it). We follow the TDSB school calendar and meet from the second week of school (September 12, 2018) to the second-last week of the public school calendar (June 14, 2019).
- 2-Day Teaching Assistants teach on Mondays and Wednesdays only, as described above.
Teaching Assistants will be paid $18/hr ($45/class). All Makom Afterschool staff members receive 4% vacation pay as well as CPP and EI benefits. All Makom Afterschool staff members are eligible for a 10% end-of-year completion bonus. Makom Afterschool staff members also attend monthly staff meetings for an additional $30/meeting.
Teaching Assistants will have access to professional development opportunities throughout the year in the areas of Jewish education, child development & classroom management.
Please Submit resumes to familyed@makomTO.org.
Resumes will be accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled.
For more information, please visit our website: http://makomafterschool.org