Makom ATID 2018-2019
Makom ATID (Afterschool Torah Im Derekh-Eretz) is Makom’s brand-new, innovative approach to serious Jewish learning and bar/bat mitzvah preparation. Makom ATID offers classes in Jewish learning, Hebrew language, and synagogue skills (prayer and Torah/haftarah chanting) to students in grades 5-8 in downtown Toronto.
Makom ATID’s Educational Goals
- Engage students in deep and meaningful Jewish learning
- Provide broader, foundational knowledge of Judaism and Hebrew
- Offer continuing education for Makom Afterschool students and educational opportunities for students coming from different Jewish day or supplementary schools or with no prior Jewish education
- Encourage Torah lishmah – Jewish learning for its own sake – with a secondary focus on the bar/bat mitzvah ceremony
- Create downtown Jewish peer community
- Develop future opportunities to engage in volunteering, outdoor experiences, downtown Jewish history, etc.
We seek a dynamic, creative, and energetic teacher who is well versed in understanding and teaching T’fillah, Torah & Haftarah Trope as both a classroom teacher and tutor (one-one and with small groups).
The Makom ATID T’fillah & Trope Teachers will:
- Teach children in grades 5-8 (grouped by age) every Monday from September to June, 5-6pm
- Familiarize students with reciting and understanding the main prayers in the Shabbat morning & evening services
- Make Jewish prayer relevant and meaningful to students aged 10 – 14
- Teach students the Torah and Haftarah trope (markings and melodies)
- Broad knowledge of Jewish prayer (meanings and melodies)
- Familiarity with both traditional and liberal/egalitarian approaches to Jewish prayer and with different siddurim
- Experience teaching T’fillah, Torah & Haftarah Trope as both a classroom teacher and tutor (one-one and with small groups)
- Experience with classroom teaching, lesson planning, and pedagogy
- Commitment to children’s social and emotional development
- Desire to grow and learn professionally
- Passion for working with children and teens
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience with experiential education methods
- Training or experience in formal and informal Jewish education
- Experience with differentiated classroom, teaching multiple ages at once
- Knowledge of child development and ability to apply it to lesson planning and instruction
In addition to base salary, the Makom ATID Hebrew Teachers will receive vacation pay and paid sick leave, as well as CPP and EI benefits.
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume to rabbi@makomTO.org.
Resumes will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
For more information, please visit our website: www.makomafterschool.org