Makom Afterschool is an innovative, pluralistic, Hebrew-immersion Jewish after-school program for children in JK through Grade 4. Founded by parents in 2011, Makom Afterschool enables children to attend their local neighbourhood school while gaining high-quality Jewish and Hebrew education and a warm Jewish peer community. We have three sites, at public schools in Kensington Market (College and Spadina), Seaton Village (Bathurst and Bloor), and Hillcrest Village (St. Clair and Christie).
We are looking for experienced, creative, and energetic teachers for Makom Afterschool for the 2018-2019 school year.
We are looking for Hebrew Immersion Teachers to:
- Teach children in grades JK through 4 every Monday and Wednesday from September to June
- Teach Hebrew (literacy and conversation) in an immersive environment (Ivrit B’Ivrit), following a set curriculum with space for individualized planning and approach
- Teach Hebrew through play-based and experiential models of education
- Teach Jewish values, culture and traditions in a pluralistic and inclusive fashion
- Hebrew and English fluency
- Expertise in one or several of the following: Early Childhood Education, teaching Hebrew as a second language, Experiential and/or Informal Jewish Education, differentiated classrooms or classroom management
- Experience with classroom teaching, lesson planning, and pedagogy
- Background in Jewish studies and tradition
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Commitment to children’s social and emotional development
- Desire to grow and learn professionally
- Passion for working with children
- Experience with experiential education methods
- Familiarity with child development, and ability to apply it to lesson planning and instruction
- Training or experience in the Early Childhood setting
- Experience with differentiated classroom, teaching multiple ages at once
Hebrew Immersion Teachers teach on Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:10-5:40 pm, including picking up students from their local school classrooms, recess, snack time, and 1.5 hours of prepared lesson. We follow the TDSB school calendar and meet from the second week of school (September 12, 2018) to the second-last week of the public school calendar (June 15,, 2019).
Hebrew Immersion Teachers will be paid $25/hr for 2.5 hours of class plus 1.5 hours of preparation per class ($104/class total). All Makom Afterschool staff members receive 4% vacation pay as well as CPP and EI benefits. All Makom Afterschool staff members are eligible for a 10% end-of-year completion bonus. Makom Afterschool staff members also attend monthly staff meetings for an additional $30/meeting.
Teachers will have access to professional development opportunities throughout the year in the areas of Jewish education, child development & classroom management.
Resumes will be accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled.
For more information, please visit our website: www.makomafterschool.org
Please submit resumes to familyed@makomTO.org